Faculty and Staff Resources
Computer Information Systems
Dean’s Office Directory
Family Business Center
College of Business IT Services
Reinhardt Advising Center
Ulmer Career Center
This password-protected area has relevant information for the Faculty
and Staff of the College of Business including the COB policies and
procedures, the Red Book, Faculty/Staff Handbook, and Departmental,
Academic Programs, and COB Committee minutes. Link to Intranet using your Exchange email/ULink login password.
Faculty and Staff Resources Technology
Authority is a web-based system that makes it easy for faculty to keep track of the activities they accomplish, such as the teaching, research and service information found on their CVs. Authority is now available from off-campus computers. Use your UL credentials (username01) and ULink password. At any time you have a problem getting in, etc. select the “Report an Issue” at the top right of the Authority page.
The College of Business Information Services department is responsible
for the computers and a/v equipment in the classrooms and faculty/staff
offices. Should there be a problem with any equipment, please call the
COB HELPDESK at (502) 852-0154 or email email@example.com.
- Troy Franklin, Director, Room 015, (502) 852-7765
- John Merchant, Manager of Computer Projects, Room 223, (502) 852-4755
- Marc Broering, Programmer, Room 013, (502) 852-6947
- Cindy McDonald, Technology Specialist, Room 012, (502) 852-4893
- Nathan Hardy, Computer Lab Manager, Room 050, (502) 852-4893
The College of Business offers students three computer labs in the atrium area of the building with over eighty computers, including ten Macs. Each computer is equipped with an wide assortment of software.
Printing is available @ 15 cents per page (paid via UofL Student Card). Students can add money to their card by using the machine located in the lab or by going to www.louisville.edu/campuscard.
The labs are located in rooms 045 (28 PCs/10 IMACs), 054 (38 PCs), and 059 (12 PCs).
CIS LAB: Room 045 has gone virtual!
Log in with your user name and password.
DO NOT select the “Smart card login” or “Remember me”
The domain (if it doesn’t show up) is AD
Select “COB Virtual Lab”
When you are finished, select LOG OFF.
Software on machines:
Flash Player ActiveX
Flash Player Plugin
Microsoft Office 2013
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
Microsoft Project Professional 2010
Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Microsoft Visio Premium 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
Respondus LockDown Browser
SSH Secure Shell
Tegrity Plugins, Recorder, Video Podcasting Utilities
Computer Lab Supervisor – Troy Franklin, Room 315, (502) 852-7765, Troy.Franklin@louisville.edu
Computer Lab Manager – Nathan Hardy, Room 050, (502) 852-6882, firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer Lab Help Desk: (502) 852-0702 or (502) 852-0154
Fall 2014 Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Thursday: 7 AM – 9 PM
- Friday – Sunday: 9 AM – 5 PM
- After hours, business students with proper card access (CIS majors) can get into 054 and 059.
- Any student, with a valid ULINK account can log on and use the computers in the open lab.
- Lab 054 cannot be used during classes; the schedule of classes for that room are posted on the outside of the lab.
There is no eating or drinking in the lab. This is strictly enforced.
If the University is closed due to holidays, weather, etc., the computer labs will also be closed.
University of Louisville IT Services
The University of Louisville IT Helpdesk can be contacted at (502) 852-7997 or via email at email@example.com.
Monday through Thursday: 6 AM to 10 PM
Friday: 6 AM to 5 PM
Saturday: 7 AM – 5 PM
Sunday: 10 AM – 10 PM
University Holidays: 7 AM – 5 PM
Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
Faculty, staff and students are entitled to a Qualtrics Survey Software
account. Qualtrics is an on-line survey software. The link is http://qualtrics.com/academic-solutions/university-of-louisville/
The UofL wireless network is a secure network that encrypts traffic on the network to prevent intrusions and interception of traffic.
FACULTY & STAFF – PLEASE REMEMBER: When you change your password, you must forget the ulsecure network on your phone, ipad, etc., and then connect again with new password.
Three types of wireless access are available, depending upon who you are:
- ulvisitor (for visitors; short-term use, limited internet functionality)
- ULSPONSOR (full-service unencrypted network access for up to 30 days; requires a UofL sponsor)
- ulsecure (requires an valid ulink username/password, preferred network for UofL student, faculty, staff)
UofL now has visitor wireless access. Prior to this, any guest coming on campus (vendors, alumni, conference attendees, etc.) had to be granted a ULSPONSOR account through a UofL IT online form for internet access. With this new account, the visitor is offered up to six hours of connectivity. The sessions will automatically log out after 15 minutes of inactivity, but visitors can log back on within that six hour period.
How to get online for a campus visitor:
- Select the SSID ulvisitor from your device’s list of available wireless networks.
- Open a browser and load any URL; you will be redirected to an access page (on some mobile devices, the access page should open automatically).
- Enter a valid email address
More information on visitor wireless: http://louisville.edu/it/departments/communications/wireless/ulvisitor-faqs
The Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) gives 24×7 access to Microsoft Windows 7 and compatible software needed for academic endeavors. Students, faculty and staff can use these virtual machines from anywhere, from any computer from practically any device. The College of Business moved its computer labs to a virtual environment in 2013 for rooms 045, 059, 054 and Davidson Hall 304. New in 2014, we are offering this service to all Faculty, Staff and Students from both on and off campus.
The benefit is that you can access these software programs without having to purchase and install them on your personal computer. Just install a simple client and off you go.
Software installed on the Virtual Desktops:
- Windows 7
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
- Microsoft Project Professional 2010
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft Visio Premium 2010
- Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
- IBM SPSS
- Flash Player ActiveX
- Flash Player Plugin
- Adobe Reader
- Shockwave Player
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Respondus LockDown Browser
- SSH Secure Shell
- Tegrity Plugins, Recorder, Video Podcasting Utilities
- Fast connection to your H: and I: drive mappings (Faculty and Staff only)
STEP 1: Install the Virtual Desktop Software
iPhones and iPads –
- Install the VMware View client from the Apple App store.
- Proceed to STEP 2.
- Install the VMware View client from the Google Play Store.
- Proceed to STEP 2.
Windows and Mac –
- Click on the download below that applies to your machine.
- Windows 32-bit https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/VMware-Horizon-View-Client-x86-3.1.0-2085634.exe
- Windows 64-bit https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/VMware-Horizon-View-Client-x86_64-3.1.0-2085634.exe
- Mac OS https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/VMware-Horizon-Client-3.1.0-2096621.dmg
- Select “Save file” or “Run” (depending on browser)
- Run the .exe file
- Select “yes” you want to download VMWare – follow prompts to install software
- Reboot the computer
- Proceed to STEP 2
STEP 2: Launching the virtual desktop application
- Launch the VMware Client
- When asked to enter the “Connection Server” put virtualcob.louisville.edu
- Username is your ULINK user-id
- Password is your ULINK password
- Domain should always say AD (if prompted)
STEP 3: Select the Desktop
- COB Virtual Lab – READ Only desktop for ALL Students
- COB Virtual Lab with Office 2013 – READ Only desktop for ALL Students
- COB-Persona – READ and WRITE for Faculty and Staff
- Equine Lab – READ only desktop for Equine students
- Persona-SQL – By request only. This has specialized software for CIS, Accounting and MBA students. This is by written request only and must be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Persona MBA SAS – By request only. This was designed to host the 64-bit version of SAS Enterprise Miner.
- Stopping your session
- Click the Start button on your Windows 7 Virtual image and then click shutdown
Connecting a USB using the Horizon View Client
- Login to Virtual Desktop
- Insert USB
- From the top of your Horizon Client click “Connect USB Device”
- Select your USB from the drop down list
- Make sure it has a checkmark next to it and the device will appear momentarily.
Help desk options
College of Business HelpDesk – 852-0154 is answered M-F 7a to 10p and Sat from 9a to 5p. Email is email@example.com
UofL HelpDesk 852-7997, firstname.lastname@example.org can help with password issues only
Information and Forms
Faculty and Staff Resources-forms
The BizComm Consultant offers tutoring for any College of Business student or faculty member. This service helps individuals improve as writers, offering both broad and specific advice for writing at any stage of the writing process. More information.
Respect for the intellectual property of others is a cornerstone of academic integrity. Copyright law balances the rights of copyright
owners with the needs of educators by permitting certain limited uses of copyrighted material without initial permission from the copyright owner. UofL’s Copyright Guidelines & Resources.
To reserve rooms in the College of Business for events, classes, meetings, etc. please complete the events request.
To request maintenance or set up, please complete the maintenance request.
Shawn A. Blackston, Facility Manager, Room 321, (502) 852-4784
Deshawn Samuels, Facilities Coordinator, Room 365, (502) 852-6296
You need to purchase an item/job from PR/Marketing or the College of Business IT Services (print jobs, computers, etc.)
- Get an estimated quote
- Sent request of item and estimated quote to your Chair/Supervisor
- Chair approves and sends to Dean Callahan for approval
- Dean Callahan approves and sends to UBM for speedtype
- Approved request and speedtype delivered to IT/Marketing for purchase
- IT advises customer item approved and discusses timeline
- Job is processed with assigned speedtype
- Completed work/purchase delivered to customer
Click for pdf of PR/IT Services Purchasing Approval Process
The application is in Adobe PDF. Complete the form, print, sign, get supervisor’s signature, then submit to Allie Goatley.
Funds are not available to pay tuition for course academic credit, books for an academic credit course, trips that are a component of an academic degree program, etc. A staff member may not apply for staff development funds during Provisional Period (first six months of employment in the College of Business). Applications will be accepted after deadline depending on available funds. New Deadline: July 8, 2015. COB Staff Development Application Form link: COB Staff Development Application Form 2014-15.
Faculty and Staff Resources Teaching/Classroom Info
- Course Syllabi MUST be posted on Blackboard. This is an ongoing University requirement for all course sections effective Fall 2011. More information on Course Syllabi Data Collection.
- Syllabi Guidelines (The Delphi Center has created a new site — the syllabui website. It provides guidelines about the creation, distribution, and modification of syllabi at the U of L.)
- Guidelines for College of Business syllabi: http://louisville.edu/delphi/-/files/syllabi/cob-syllabus-guidelines.pdf
- Deadlines for faculty to post their course syllabi on Blackboard:
FALL SYLLABI – OCTOBER 31
SPRING SYLLABI – MARCH 30
SUMMER SYLLABI – JUNE 30
In 2011, the university moved from a paper-based evaluation system to https://blueeval.louisville.edu/ce.
Students can go to this site to access evaluations that they need to fill out, and faculty can access reports of their completed course
evaluations here as well. Students can also access their evaluations through BlackBoard. You can log into the site using the same username/password that you would use to log into ULink.
Some of the College of Business classes are taught in Davidson Hall classrooms. The College of Business does not provide audio/visual or computers to these rooms. They must be requested by the professor through their IT Support media request: http://louisville.edu/it/departments/classroom-support/forms/belknap-campus-audiovisual-equipment-request; phone is 852-6465.