Is participation required?
No. Participation in Cardinal Flight is voluntary but strongly encouraged.
How long does it take to complete the program?
Cardinal Flight is flexible and can be completed at your own pace. Students who take the initiative can complete activities for foundational level requirements during their first year, leaving plenty of time to focus on activities for advanced level requirements during the semesters leading up to graduation. See the recommended completion plan below.
- First year, first semester: Find events to attend and complete a minimum of five activities to satisfy Foundational level requirements.
- First year, second semester: Find events to attend and complete a minimum of five activities to satisfy Foundational level requirements.
- Second year: Find events to attend and complete a minimum of four activities to satisfy Foundational level requirements. Begin to explore and engage in activities to satisfy Advanced level requirements.
- Ongoing: Find events to attend and complete activities to satisfy any remaining Foundational and Advanced level requirements.
- Transfer Students: For support with Cardinal Flight, please contact the Program Coordinator with any questions.
What are foundational and advanced level activities?
- Foundational level activities are exploratory. Students are introduced to basic-level structured activities that support growth and development and prepare students for more advanced levels of engagement.
- Advanced level activities are more immersed in nature. Students gain a deeper level of engagement and will have the opportunity to directly apply learned knowledge or skills through participation in structured activities to support their growth and development.
What are co-curricular activities?
Co-curricular activities are defined as activities that take place outside of the classroom that enhance classroom learning and promote growth and development. Examples of co-curricular activities include sports, school bands, Greek life, student newspaper, seminars, simulated experiences, internships, service learning, etc.
What is LinkedIn Learning?
All UofL enrolled students, faculty, and staff have free access to LinkedIn Learning.
LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform offering a digital library of more than 6,000 courses covering a wide range of technical, business, software, and creative topics. A LinkedIn course gives you focused instruction on something specific, while a Learning Path will provide several courses focused on a larger topic.
When you complete a course or learning path on LinkedIn Learning, you’ll be prompted to add the certificate for the course or the learning path and new skills to your LinkedIn profile.
View the Cardinal Flight LinkedIn Learning Resource
How do I keep track of my progress?
You can monitor your overall progress and see which items you have completed from the progress bar of the Cardinal Flight path homepage.
Note: Please allow up to seven business days for eligible items submitted on EngageUofL for the Cardinal Flight path to be reviewed and approved by the program coordinator.
How do I validate my experiences?
At certain events, you attendance will be automatically tracked when you check-in by swiping your student card. At others, you may be asked to scan a QR code for attendance.
For the rest, you can self-report an experience by using the Report Experience link within the item on the Paths section of Cardinal Flight in EngageUofL. You will follow the complete details to submit your experience. Make sure you have information that can validate the experience.
Depending on the event, accepted validation can include, but is not limited to:
- Selfie or photo documentation of you participating in the event or experience
- Contact information of faculty/staff/supervisor/event organizer/etc. who can verify your participation or experience (sorry, your friends and relatives don’t count!)
- Copy of confirmation email or letter showing your name
- Photo or scan of a ticket stub, letter or confirmation email, proof of membership, etc.
- Screenshot or copy of the completion screen that includes your name for online workshops, assessments, certificates of completion, etc.
- Any supporting documentation of anything that can confirm that you completed the experience or attended the event
Note: Falsifying information for event check-ins or self-reported experiences with the intent of receiving Cardinal Flight credit is an example of academic dishonesty in Cardinal Flight and will be reported.
Can I use one experience to fulfill multiple items?
No – we encourage students to seek out unique experiences to fulfill each item. In some instances, extensive experiences such as studying abroad may be used to satisfy more than one requirement at a time.
How will I receive my micro-credential digital badge?
After successfully completing the program requirements and being approved for a digital badge, you will receive an email from Cardinal Flight with details to access your newly earned digital badge. Once you claim your digital badge, you will have the option to make it viewable to the public in email signatures, digital resumes, and/or social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
How will I receive my graduation sash/stole?
Graduation stoles or graduation sashes are worn by graduates on commencement day, representing achievement, success, or involvement in a particular organization. In order to qualify for the Cardinal Flight graduation sash or stole, you must have a degree application for graduation on file for the semester in which you intend to graduate and have satisfied all requirements for the Cardinal Flight micro-credential badge. You will receive an email with details on how to claim your Cardinal Flight graduation sash/stole.
How do I access my Co-Curricular Transcript?
The Co-Curricular Transcript (CCT) is a record of your involvement in outside-the-classroom experiences such as internships, athletics, clubs, Greek life, leadership positions, etc. This is a helpful document to have as a reference to showcase all you have accomplished at the University of Louisville.
To view or download your CCT, log in to EngageUofL and click on your profile image in the top right-hand corner and click Co-Curricular Transcript.
For questions about how to best highlight your involvement and achievements on your resume or career portfolio, please contact the College of Business Ulmer Career Management Center.
Is Cardinal Flight the same as academic credit?
No. Cardinal Flight credit is not associated with academic credit, and students do not receive academic credit for completing the program. Students can view and download a Co-Curricular Transcript to help articulate their accomplishments and skills on a resume and portfolio when applying for jobs, graduate or professional school, etc.