PhD in Entrepreneurship Admissions and Tuition
Qualifications for admissionsCurriculum and Admissions APPLY HERE
An undergraduate degree is required. An MBA degree or similar degree is strongly preferred. A student who does not have a master’s degree in business may be required to complete a set of courses equivalent to the core of classes covered in an MBA program.
We typically admit 5 students every other year. A new cohort of students will begin their studies in August 2024.
Characteristics of applicants
An understanding of entrepreneurship requires an understanding of all the major facets of business, and this is typically satisfied with an MBA degree.
- A GMAT score is required that is no more than two years old from the date of application.
- There is no minimum grade point average. The institutions you attended, your major(s) and minor(s), and your GPA are all factors we consider. Applicants with credentials from foreign universities must submit them for evaluation to one of the following services, which will issue a report that will become part of the applicant’s application.
- Applicants with a degree from a non-english speaking university or those for whom English is not their native language must submit a TOEFL score. http://ets.org/ibt/register
- Letters of recommendation describing applicant characteristics.
- Prior work experience is not necessary for admission. Nonetheless, if you have prior work experience, we will consider it when making admission decisions.
- An interview (either in person or via Skype).
- A personal statement that explains why the applicant is interested in pursuing a PhD and that provides other relevant information for us to make a decision.
- We hope to admit 5 students for the Fall 2024 cohort. Applications for the Fall 2024 cohort will be accepted through January 31, 2024.
How to apply
Outstanding students who apply by January 10 will be considered for the University Fellowship Program. We will admit students on a rolling basis with an application deadline of January 31, 2024. If space permits, exceptional students can be admitted through April.Apply today
All students receive a full tuition waiver for four full academic years as long as they are making progress toward their degree. In special cases, fifth-year funding may be available. Students work as graduate assistants in order to receive the stipend, which is currently $31,000 per year. Students are not allowed to work outside of their research or teaching assistantship while they are in the PhD program. Students enter candidacy after successfully completing all required coursework, passing the qualifying examination, and successfully writing and presenting a required second-year paper. Typically, students enter candidacy after two full years in the program.
Learn more about financial support for graduate students.Funding opportunities
English proficiency is essential to success in UofL’s entrepreneurship doctoral program. International students for whom English is not their primary language must show English language proficiency by (1) taking the TOEFL test and scoring a paper-based TOEFL score of 550, a computer-based TOEFL score of 213, or an internet-based TOEFL score of 79, or (2) by successfully completing the exit examination for the advanced level of Intensive English as a Second Language Program at the University of Louisville and (3) by interviewing with the admissions committee conducted either in person or by Skype
If you have questions, contact the PhD program director, Dr. Daniel Bennett, at email@example.com.Email Dr. Bennett