Outcomes & Careers
There are a variety of ways to gain experience as a student in the Equine Industry Program. Students have the opportunity to work the Keeneland September Yearling Sale with industry partner Taylor Made, which is a good one to two week immersion in the world of high-end racehorse auctions. Summer-long internships with racetracks like Ellis Park in Kentucky and Monmouth Park in New Jersey give students invaluable hands-on experience in racetrack operations during a live meet. Program Coordinator Terri Burch works with students to find opportunities for hands-on experience that lines up with each student’s individual career goals.
Students can also improve on riding skills and gain experience with fundraising, and event management by participating in one of four equine student organizations at UofL.Student Organizations
Alumni of our program have gone on to work in a variety of equine-related jobs across the industry. What they all have in common is they used their time at UofL to seek out opportunities that helped them build their resume for the career they wanted.
Our graduates have been employed by companies like WinStar Farm, Calumet, Taylor Made, LoneStar Park, Churchill Downs, Keeneland, The Kentucky Horse Park, The Jockeys’ Guild, TVG, NBC Sports, Zoetis Pharmaceuticals, HBPA, NTRA, United Tote, Dallas Stewart Racing, Elite Sales, J. Stevens Bloodstock, Daily Racing Form, Paulick Report, USEF, USDF, USHJA, and many more.
Example careers by industry segment include:
- Broadcast and Media: on-air tv personality, sports and racing production, journalist, photographer
- Racetrack Management: track announcer, simulcast coordinator, steward, secretary, sales/advertising, marketing strategy, event planning, player development
- Farm Management: farm operations manager, stallion manager, yearling manager, broodmare manager
- Bloodstock/Equine Sales: bloodstock agent, season sales manager, stallion sales manager
- Administration: office manager, fundraising, client/guest services, operations manager, human resources
- Training: racehorse trainer, sport horse trainer, coach, show judge, show secretary
- Event Management: hospitality/guest services, facilities management, sponsorship coordinator, marketing, trade show/vendor coordinator
- Regulatory/breed/sport organizations: social media/marketing manager, breed registration coordinator, membership coordinator, racing commission member
- Support Companies
- Post-College Professional Degrees/Certifications: veterinarian, lawyer, accountant, controller