Northwestern Mutual hosted a small surprise celebration sendoff (retirement at the end of Spring 2014 semester) for Dr. Buddy LaForge to thank him for the many years of his excellent teaching at University of Louisville as well as always welcoming Northwestern Mutual to be an active participant in many events for him throughout the years. The gathering was April 3, complete with cake, roses (for Buddy’s wife Susan), and a beautiful 2013 NCAA National Champs basketball plaque signed by Rick Pitino presented to Buddy by Northwestern Mutual representatives.
Northwestern Mutual is a sponsor and participates in the Keg of Nails Sales Competition, an annual competition between the University of Cincinnati and the University of Louisville. Dr. LaForge co-founded the event in 2012 and is Competition Director.
Dr. LaForge, Brown-Forman Professor of Marketing, became a faculty member at the College of Business in 1991. His many contributions to the College of Business include numerous activities with direct interaction with students. He was faculty coach for the Keg of Nails Sales Competition, World Collegiate Sales Open, Great Northwoods Sales Warm-Up, RBI National Sales Challenge, Ball State University Regional Sales Competition and The Sales Cup, just to name a few. Buddy was founder and faculty advisor for two of our college student organizations -The CardShirt Company and the Student Sales Network.
Just a few of the honors he achieved in the last few years include:
- Inducted into the Direct Selling Education Foundation Circle of Honor-Direct Selling Association Annual Meeting
- Received the College of Business Faculty-of-the Year Award-College of Business Student Council
- Selected as one of the Top Universities for Professional Sales Education-Sales Education Foundation – for the 7th year in a row
- Received the Sales Excellence Award from Louisville Sales Leaders
- Received the Gerald E. Hills Best Paper Award for the Best Marketing/Entrepreneurship Journal Article from the American Marketing Association Entrepreneurial Marketing Special Interest Group
- Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Marketing Association Sales Special Interest Group
- Received the College of Business Undergraduate Teaching Award
Thank you Buddy for the many years of dedication and hard work at the College of Business. We wish him a very happy retirement. See photos on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/UofLCollegeofBusiness)