Some tips to consider before going to China:
- Bring your own toilet paper everywhere you go. There is no toilet paper in public restroom like in restaurants, at Beiwai, or at some touristic places.
- Don’t drink the water directly from the faucet. Boil it or buy mineral water.
- For Chinese people is uncommon to drink cold water or water with ice. If you want some cold water some restaurant offer cold bottle of water.
- Bring hand sanitizer with you because some restaurant don’t provide customer soap.
- If you are planning to go to the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, or other touristic places that you need to buy a ticket, bring your student ID, some places give discount for students.
- When buying stuff from street vendors, if they see that you are foreign some try to charge you more than the normal price so be aware of that.
- No need to pay tips in restaurant so don’t expect the same customer service from the waitress like in the USA.
Well for now these are the tips I remember. I will continue to update if I recall something else. ^^